Thursday, January 7, 2010

The OS chooses the Person

      So, today i made a brief talk on the topic "Free & Open Source Software" during the Communication Lab hour in my class. Following is a gentle recap into my past and how i entered this open source world.
      Like everyone of my age, my computing experience started with Windows 98. When I used MS Word for the first time, I was surprised it caught the spelling errors and also suggested the correct spellings. Wow, Computers have started to become intelligent.
      I felt myself in alien land when I first controlled my Windows XP desktop. Little did I know it would became the most popular pirated Operating System. A few of years passed by..
      I was already in college. Vista was released and soon almost all my friends had a Vista CD. I didn't show any interest in using it because I felt guilty. My cousin asked me,"Do you use Fedora at college?". "What is Fedora?", I asked. After that productive conversation, i was determined to try it out. But all i could find were three cds Ubuntu8.10,Kubuntu8.10,Edubuntu8.10.
      Initially when I stepped into the Ubuntu's GNOME desktop, right-clicked the mouse, WHAT? No 'Refresh' option? I was disappointed. But now i can laugh, or even criticize Windows for that 'Refresh' syndrome it inflicted on me(and many like me). Ever since i borrowed those Ubuntu CDs from my friend, I'm learning something new everyday, and it has transformed my thinking about an OS.
      Using a Linux Operating System has enabled me to advocate against piracy. I transformed a lot. I mean, Ubuntu transformed me. In my view, where there is proprietary software, there will always be piracy.
      Why did I give such a meaningless title!? That's one of my bad habits to use dialogues from books(In this case, Harry Potter),Movies..

2 comments:

  1. Hi...

    To start with,it's really prestigious to be the first one to comment on your blog dear friend. I have viewed it many a time thinking to comment over it, but i wanted to come up with a great one, atleast a 'fair enough' one.. hmmm, and here is the result-"i couldn't come up with anything". so i thought to put down my thinking cap and write whatever came to my mind...If you would permit me to continue....

    Mmmm.. here goes.. when i read your blog, i came across jargons that i had no clue of(i am not a computer geek), but this particular one" The OS chooses the person" was something i could relate to. well, you most obviously know the reason for it(our scar friend)-"the wand chooses the wizard and the wizard the wand"..i didn't look up the book to quote this, so excuse mistakes,if any..i am thrilled with the passion with which we share our views on HP.. the day when i gave you an intro to harry still remains fresh in my mind and your writing(my name) in the "Goblet of Fire" still reminds me of that day.. Hmmm..i guess that's all what i can think of, for now...

    (P.S:sorry for the late response & i want to say that your blog is fantastic even though most of it is french to me:-)...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Title could have been"My Communication skills lab talk on OS and OSS"

    ReplyDelete